Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A great night of ministry!

Last night at high school night I was scheduled to share the Gospel. Needless to say I hadn't had much time to prepare but, as usual, I had a great bunch of folks praying for me. When I arrived an old skatechurch friend that I hadn't seen in a while came by and let me know that he was still following the Lord and that he had received my support letter and wanted to begin to support me. BTW, he is 19 years old.
I can't tell you what a blessing it was to catch up with this guy re: his walk with the Lord and his family. I was now ready to share the Gospel!!!!!!!!!!!
My friend left and I went inside to prepare the message (I had a rough idea of what I wanted to share but needed to add some meat to it). As I sat down to prepare another kid came over to me and sat down wanting to talk.
We chatted for about 15 min. about his injuries and his church home and his hopes for the future.
I then got up and skated about for a bit and chatted with about 10 other fellows while skating with them.
Then it was 7:30; talk time!!
The kids were told to sit down, reminded of the rules for the talk, and I went up to speak. I still didn't know what to say!!
In moments like these it always seems best to pray. So I did.
The Lord answered my prayers and I proceeded to share the Gospel through the story of David and Bathsheba.
The main point of the talk was that we, just like David, are guilty of worshipping worldly things rather than God.
I called the fellows to repentance and did an altar call. No one responded so I reminded them that the staff are only here for them and that if they have any questions to come and ask them.
One fellow came up to me and said that he was very confused. He said that thought that he was a Christian but that I had spoken of Davids sin of adultery and its consequences and he was wondering why he didn't feel guilty for recently getting his girlfriend pregnant.
In moments like these it always seems best to pray. So I did.
I explained to him that just because his friends thought it was great that he was going to be a father didn't mean that God agreed with them. I asked him if he read his Bible and he said yes but only the O.T. because the N.T. was too confusing.
I told him to go for a skate and that I would find something in the N.T. that would bring clairity to his situation. I wrote him up a quick note to read the sermon on the mount and to come back next week and tell me what he thought of it.
He took the note and said that he would and was very excited to learn more about his standing with God.
Please pray for this guy that he would get into the Word and that God would bless him with His truth. Pray for me as I need wisdom to speak into this guys life next week.
Thank you,
-Joel

No comments: